Thank you for visiting our site. Certain sections of the forums are only visible to clients of particular HMIS software vendors so be sure to designate your HMIS software when you register.

HMIS Training Materials

Open forum regarding HMIS support, resources, and information.
Jack Moran

Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:29 am

Hi There,

Small shop here, Worcester County MA and we're looking to formalize our training a bit.

We were thinking of developing a simple module (Power Point , HTML, Javscript, or something like this) to step though HUD Assessments with a quiz that covers some basics that we could have users complete as part of an annual certification for HMIS Users.

It occurred to us that others have probably gone down this path before us, so,...rather than starting from scratch, is it possible that anyone has something like this that they would be willing to share?

Jack

JamiePelham

Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:40 pm

This is a great idea. It seems like Google Classroom might be good for something like this as well.
GaitherStephens

Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:44 pm

Hi Jack,

I've been thinking about doing this exact thing. I'd like to do it in Udemy or something similar so I can have quizzes, course work, and certification.

Will King in Louisville has been working on something similar here: https://louhomeless.org/hmis-training/

I have some training items and workflows on the main site here and on https://gulfcoastpartnership.org

Regards,

Gaither
GaitherStephens

Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:54 pm

JamiePelham wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:40 pm
This is a great idea. It seems like Google Classroom might be good for something like this as well.
I haven't used Google Classroom. It sounds interesting. Good tip.

Gaither
gdenzin

Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:15 pm

We are starting down the path of setting up something in Moodle which is free and open source. It is a lot of work, and we actually hired someone on to help collate all our training materials into something coherent. It's not up and running yet, but that is the plan. It will include not only HMIS training materials, but CoC training materials as well.

Google Classroom was definitely a consideration, as was already mentioned. We currently have a lot of training materials here: hmis.cohhio.org but it's quite ugly and it's just cobbled together in an ad hoc fashion, as things come up. So it's not super coherent or anything. Like each document is good in its own way, but as a whole, it just doesn't cut it. Either way, that site is built using the traning portal that's attached to HelpSpot, which is a helpdesk system we have used for years. We like HelpSpot, but the portal is just not super robust or anything.

We also use ClassMarker for quizzes and such.

Good luck. It's quite the rabbit hole. :)
wking

Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:29 pm

I'll take a closer look at Google Classroom as well. Had not even considered that. Another KY CoC has some training videos here: https://kyhmis.zendesk.com/hc/en-us
Found under "KYHMIS Training Documentation". I would have just used their videos but they train their users to use the "backdate" feature and I do not. So I made my own.
They have had very good luck using their videos. I have not.

I like your idea of an online quiz. If you need to bounce ideas off someone, just let me know.
Best,
Will King
[email protected]
GaitherStephens

Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:05 pm

Hey Will,

I'll definitely be checking that link out.

I kind of envision multiple modules covering specific things like back date mode, EDA, Case Plans, Case Managers, Entry/Exits, etc. That way they can be short videos that allow the student to bite of small chunks of ServicePoint and go back and re-watch the videos quickly if they've forgotten something.

I'm currently spending a bunch of time working on a coordinated entry dashboard so I haven't had much time to dedicate to the class idea.

This is very rough right now and I was just throwing some stuff together to see what I did or didn't like: https://public.tableau.com/profile/gulf ... sDashboard

There are some formatting things I'm still working out and other areas regarding CE that I want to address.

But, as soon as I'm done with this, I plan on revisiting classes and tutorials some more.

Have a great weekend!

Gaither
Jack Moran

Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:57 am

Thanks for all of the suggestions,...we'll check them out and I'll try to member to circle back and let you know what direction we take and what our experience is if folks are interested to see it.

PS Gaither, this is a very nice thing you have put together here,...being able to talk about and share stuff like this with this highly specialized group of HMIS folks is really valuable. Thanks!
GaitherStephens

Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:51 pm

Jack, I'm still growing it. There's not a ton of activity yet, but I really want to get the bugs out before it gets swamped. I figure a slow buildup is best to make sure it works correctly.

Thanks for being here and posting!