Thank you for visiting our site. Certain sections of the forums are only visible to clients of particular HMIS software vendors so be sure to designate your HMIS software when you register.

SSVF Guidance

Open forum regarding HMIS support, resources, and information.
GaitherStephens

Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:05 pm

Good Afternoon,

I'm curious on how other SSVF providers handle project starts and exits in HMIS when their RRH clients get HUD VASH.

The problem we're running into is that SSVF begins working with a client that's in emergency shelter, so they do a project start in HMIS. Subsequently, the client gets a HUD VASH voucher, so the SSVF provider does a project exit with destination as emergency shelter because they are no longer working with the client, yet the client has not yet moved into housing.

So, the question is, should they have not done a project start for the client since they were not going to house the client through SSVF OR, should they not exit the client until the client is in housing so that the can exit the client to housing in HMIS?

Thank you for any guidance on this.

Gaither

jeri t

Thu May 16, 2019 6:18 pm

I have an answer for you. I am on my phone, but I will post it tomorrow.
jeri t

Fri May 17, 2019 8:13 am

If a client is already housed in a VASH program when the client is referred to the SSVF project, the client should be entered under the Homelessness Prevention project. As the VA Data Guide states, "Participants should be entered into HMIS under either the RRH or HP project based on the housing status of the head of household. If the head of household is homeless, enter the household into the RRH project." Housed means that the client is physically in housing using a VASH voucher, not just entered into the VASH project while awaiting housing. In this case, a housing move-in date is not required to be recorded in the Homelessness Prevention project (but would be present in the VASH project).

If a client has a project start date in the VASH project but the client has not physically entered housing and there is not a housing move-in date recorded yet in the VASH project, the client can be entered into the Rapid Rehousing project in HMIS if a deposit or other one-time assistance is needed in order to be housed by the VASH project. In this case, the RRH provider will exit the client from the RRH project on the day a Housing Move-in Date is recorded by the VASH provider in the VASH project. The VASH provider's project record will remain open until the client exits the VASH project (leaves housing).

The VA tracks the recording of Housing Move-In Date in RRH projects very closely, and expects that any RRH exit record with a permanent housing destination will have a Housing Move-In Date recorded as well. Therefore, the RRH provider should exit the client from RRH if the client is housed by VASH. They should include in their exit record in the RRH project in HMIS:
  • An accurate housing move in date that matches the VASH provider’s housing move in date in the VASH project record (or in the case of missing or non-entered housing move in date on the VASH side, the RRH provider should enter a date that is accurate to the best of their knowledge on the RRH record); and
  • An accurate permanent housing destination; and
  • An accurate Exit Date that matches the housing move in date in the RRH project.
If the VASH record is missing the housing move in date, the RRH provider and HMIS lead can work together on that data quality (reminding the VASH provider that it is required for them to enter it).

In regards to the PIT/HIC counts required of each project and to ensure there is not a "double count:" If the project exit date and the housing move in date on the RRH record matches, the local CoC can run PIT counts for VASH and RRH projects and where they see duplicates they can discount as an RRH count any client with an RRH Housing Move-In date that matches the RRH Project Exit Date, thereby not double-counting the VASH client in both PSH and RRH for purposes of the HIC, and maintaining fidelity to the VA's data quality requirements for RRH projects.

Just to confirm one point in your AAQ (" If this is the case, this client would be counted as being "housed" and would appear on the HIC/Sheltered PIT as a client housed by this RRH project."): Nobody in RRH (or VASH) should be included in your Sheltered PIT. They should be included on your HIC (where there is also a field that captures the number of people in those beds on the night of the PIT, which is likely what you meant.).
GaitherStephens

Fri May 17, 2019 11:28 am

Thank you Jeri.

That is extremely detailed and answers my questions precisely.

Your guidance is a huge help and I can't wait to share it with our SSVF provider.

Have a great weekend!

Gaither